This page references products and services we recommend. Most of the resources we have used in our travels; some, we personally know the owners; or have heard rave reviews from fellow travelers. We may receive compensation when you click these links in the form of affiliate referral programs at no additional cost to you. We appreciate you using these links to help support this website and Wild Spirit Travel.
If you have a question, comment, or personal testimonial on any of these products or services, post it to the Wild Spirit Traveler Facebook group.
Travel Insurance & Safety Websites
- Wanderwell — Travel insurance for good. This company not only has trip protection and travel medical plans, but they give back to the planet.
- RoamRight — For our most recent international trips, we had insurance with RoamRight. When we had to file a claim it was handled quickly and professionally.
- SquareMouth – Compare 112 travel insurance policies with 46,000 reviews. We have insured several trips via SquareMouth and have been happy.
- US Department of State — Info for people traveling with an American passport on visas, safety, health risks and more for every country.
- United Kingdom (UK) Foreign Travel Advice (www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice)
- Government of Canada Travel Advice and Advisories (https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories)
- Agoda – Deep discounts on 1,525,000+ properties, worldwide.
- Airbnb – Vacation Rentals, Homes, Experiences & Places.
- Booking.com – Big savings on hotels in 96000 destinations worldwide.
- Hostelworld – Stay in a hostel and meet the real world, not the tourist brochure.
- HotelsCombined — Regularly gets rated as the site finding the lowest rates worldwide.
- Late$tays.com – Huge discounts on last minute hotels with latestays.
- VRBO – Vacation Home Rental Site
- Hopper – Know when to fly and buy. Score the lowest fares.
- Google Flights – Helps you compare and track airfares on hundreds of airlines to help you find the best flight deals.
- Google Maps – Uses satellite imagery, street maps, street views, real-time traffic conditions, and route planning for traveling by foot, car, bicycle, or public transportation.
- Momondo – Cheapest flights from thousands of airlines and travel sites.
- Rome2Rio – Discover how to get anywhere by plane, train, bus, ferry and automobile.
- The Man in Seat Sixty-One – Everything a traveler needs to know about trains around the world. Top Ten Travel App in Before You Go Abroad Handbook.
Travel Clubs with Home Hosting
- ATC – The Affordable Travel Club – A Hospitality Exchange Club for people over 40.
- Servas – International – Peace and understanding through travel and hosting.
- Servas – United States – a worldwide cooperative cultural exchange network of travelers and hosts working together to foster peace, goodwill and mutual respect.
- Dirty Radish — Small group tours to France with a sommelier.
- Kendi World Adventures – Small group tours pecializing in Costa Rica & India. No single supplement!
- Purposeful Nomad – Women and family tours that inspire, challenge and bring together people from around the globe.
- Ravens Caravan – For adventurous independent travelers 50+.
- Veg Jaunts and Journeys — Vegan tours that price based on single room.
- Volunteer Voyages – enriching lives through humanitarian service adventures.
- You Go Girls! Travel – because women travel differently than men.
Travel Advisors / Agencies
- All About Your Travels — Full service agency with a passion for travel research and a specialty in Croatia.
- Living Big Travel — Custom designed adventures for solos, couples, families, and groups.
- Travel That Matters – Anne & Angela are experienced world travelers who know how to arrange trips “when being a tourist isn’t enough.”
Wild Spirit Recommended Travel Blogs
- Independent Travel: Palm Tree Musings
- Slow Travel: Explorer Genes
- Solo Travel Tips: Solo Traveler
- Budget Solo Travel: Big World $mall Pockets
- Travel Hacking: Nomadic Matt
- Travel & Lifestyle: Oneika the Traveller
- Solo Travel After 50: Women on the Road
- Solo Female Travel: The Blonde Abroad
- Luxury Travel: Velvet Escape
- Volunteer Travel: Grassroots Volunteering @ A Little Adrift
- Vegan Travel: The Nomadic Vegan
- Adventure Travel: Nomad Revelations
Informative Travel Forums
- Wild Spirit Travel Facebook Group — Lets you harness the collective power of travelers around the world.
- Travel For All — Inclusive travel options for people with accessibility needs.
- Rick Steves’ Europe — Specializing in tips for Europe
- Travelfish — Specializing in tips for Asia
- Travellerspoint — General travel forum well moderated
- Fodor’s Travel Talk — General travel forum well moderated
- Cruise Critic Community Boards — Specializing in tips on Cruising